A Road Trip in the center of the magical, American West
Kanab, UT is the heart of the West! Don't believe us? Just check out the monument in town indicating the USGS mapped the West around Kanab back in 1869. Not only is Kanab the Center of the West, it's in the center of three national parks, all a short car drive from Kanab. Come experience this charming, western town smack dab in the middle of Zion, Bryce Canyon and North Rim of the Grand Canyon.
Distance from Kanab to:
Zion National Park – 40 miles
Bryce Canyon National Park – 77 miles
North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park – 78 miles
Take a look at these travel itineraries tailor made to fit your style. Great places to visit and eat while your in the area!
Learn about Kanab’s Western Movie History with these other activities to help you explore Kanab and experience the Wild West
1. Stop by the Visitor Center for a more complete list of western movies filmed in Kanab
2. Take a stroll down the Hollywood “Walk of Fame”
3. Drive by the old Gunsmoke movie set – You can find the directions using this trail map of Johnson Canyon
4. Visit us August 27th & 28th, 2021 for Kanab’s Western Legends Heritage & Music Festival
Join us as we remember and celebrate our western heritage of old tough and true cowboys, movie history and the stars that come with, as well as music old and new that keep our western hearts alive. http://westernlegendsroundup.com/
5. Stay at the historic Parry’s Lodge – A great place to learn about the movie stars and stay where they stayed!
Hundreds of movie stars have stayed and dined at Parry’s Lodge over the years, including John Wayne, Robert Taylor, Frank Sinatra, James Garner and Clint Eastwood to name a few. There is an Old Barn Theatre on the lot where classic western movies filmed in the area are shown during the summer months, but it used to be the stable for the horses.
6. Dine in an old-western setting at the Iron Horse Saloon. Great BBQ style food, indoor and outdoor seating, live music, plus a full service bar!
7. Visit the Little Hollywood Museum at 297 West Center Street, Kanab UT.
Clint Eastwood’s Outlaw Josey Wales very cool Homestead set forms the cornerstone of our Movie Set Museum. Come explore the historic movie sets that have been collected from several different movies. It also has a cool façade from Kenny Loggins Live at the Grand Canyon, the Homestead from the James Garner starring One Little Indian, the Zion Park entrance booth used in Michael Cimino’s remake of Desperate Hours and lots of movie history. Visit the gift shop and grab a bite from the Restaurant as well. (Check seasonal hours for the gift shop and restaurant)
8. Shop in the old Kanab Mercantile (now Duke’s Clothing store) where a member of Butch Cassidy’s gang convalesced while recovering from a gunshot wound
9. Many movies have been filmed in and around Kane County, but loads of other media also take advantage of the beautiful landscapes. Here are an example of two music videos that were recently filmed.
10. If you happen to be in the area during one of our rodeo’s come see tough and true cowboys continue in their western heritage at the beautiful Kaneplex Arena overlooking Jackson Flat Reservoir and the glowing red cliffs of Kanab.
- June 18th as part of Jacob Hamblin Days
- August 27th as part of Western Legends
- November 5th and 6th for the RMPRA Rodeo Finals